Monday, October 18, 2010

Planting Season 2010

I thought I might post a few pics of the summer planting/weeding season of July and August. Corn, peanuts and millet was planted starting in late May and continued through June in some areas, depending on rainfall. As I have explained and shown in previous posts, sesame wasode planted starting in mid to late July in order to have it mature later than other crops due to its need for dry conditions in order to properly mature. There was a fairly good and consistent rainfall this year that resulted in a moderately good to really good harvest for many farmers in my community during and just after my departure in September.

Here I explain the importance of spacing of both rows and individual sesame plants in their rows at roughly the 15th day after planting:

Here we are in a sesame field during a day of weeding and thinning of plantings:
A family planting corn in rows:

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Starr said...

Matthew! I have to say that you kept an excellent blog during your PCBF experience. I quite enjoyed my peregrination of your posts/pictures. Well done.

September 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home