Sunday, May 10, 2009

Update and some pics

I thought I would update a bit on whats going on around this neck of the woods...I've been scattering my time and energy around a few different projects lately. My association's farmers are still producing lots of sesame using irrigation during this dry season, but the rains are starting to arrive so another crop will soon be planted, along with lots of other staple crops like millet and corn. Its nice to get out of town and walk around the lush irrigated fields out in the country area from time to time!

I was recently selected to serve on the 'Food Security Committee' of Peace Corps Burkina Faso, which is essentially a bunch of us who do research on agricultural issues here in Burkina and try to get all volunteers communities to plant the best and most nutritional variety of food possible, using the best methods possible. Basically. I will be heading off to Ghana in a few days for a 10 day vacation!! Cool huh?! Its hard to believe that I've been here for seven months already...and I'm ready to leave the land-locked sands of Burkina and plant myself in the surf of Ghana. Of course, my next post here will be all about that, with lots of photos, I promise, as one of my travel partners is a great photographer who shows me cools tricks (Aaron, the guys golfing in the funny pants, and wearing the plastic bag blazer!).

The first picture below is a young entrepreneur who makes cheese (a simple soft white variety with local milk...its actually really good!) at his house and pedals around town selling it to those few folks who have the money for such a product (or even know what it is). I helped him develop some packaging and some labels to better market the cheese, and then we started asking it some of the local grocery type store where the occasional tourist (they're French mostly) passes through and might be inclined to buy some cheese. Sales seem to be picking up a bit and I've help him devise a savings scheme to prepare him for some upcoming materials costs (cheese cultures, packaging, etc).


The lady on the left is my counterpart's mom who is visiting from their home village! Both of these ladies are Gourmatche (the prodominate ethnic group in my region)

These are some Peul neighbors of mine (Peul are a minority group in my region, with unique culture and dress, and they are almost all cattle owners).


1 Comments:

Blogger LDG said...

Hey, you're in the Peace Corps. How exciting! Of course when I get together with Frances, talk always turns to you, and then I turn to google.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of PC, especially as someone in his 30s.

Good for you Matthew! I'll now follow your blog.

-Lauren G.

May 13, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home